The Mary Ellen Chott-Mahre Memorial Scholarship was funded by her husband David R. Mahre, Sr. and their nine children. While suffering with terminal cancer, Mary asked her family to establish a perpetual scholarship to benefit area high school graduates and help Catholic students in our area attend a Catholic college or university.
The scholarship award varies from year-to-year depending on market fluctuations and fund size. Presently, an award winner can expect $7,500 awarded annually. The Central Washington Catholic Foundation (CWCF) is the sole governing body awarding the Chott-Mahre Scholarship. The CWCF’s decision is final.
Qualifications for this scholarship:
1. A baptized, participating member in the Roman Catholic community,
2. Planning to or presently attending an accredited Catholic college or university,
3. Living in Benton, Chelan, Douglas, Grant, Kittitas, Klickitat, or Yakima counties with a preference going to an applicant graduating from Naches Valley High School who attends St. John Parish in Naches, WA.
Successful application includes:
1. Completed application form and all accompanying documentation mailed directly to the Central Washington Catholic Foundation and post marked no later than April 1st of the year the scholarship is awarded
2. Proof of acceptance at an accredited Roman Catholic college or university
3. Parents’ latest tax return (if applicant is under 25 years of age and/or receiving parental support) or FAFSA
4. Applicant’s latest tax return
5. Official transcripts from graduating high school and any schools of higher learning applicant attended
6. Two letters of recommendation, one being from a teacher or counselor who knows the applicant well and one from the applicant’s pastor or parish youth leader. Recommendation letters to be accepted must be sent directly to the CWCF by the individuals recommending the student. Recommendation Request Form
Any student awarded the Chott-Mahre Scholarship for one year, and keeps at least a 3.0 G.P.A. throughout the academic year, may reapply for up to a total of three additional years. This student would then become the preferred candidate if there is not a qualified candidate from St. John Parish and Naches Valley High School.